The National Capitol Columns are a notable and unusual landmark in Washington, D.C. They are an arrangement of twenty-two Corinthian columns that were originally part of the United States Capitol from 1828 to 1958. The columns are now located at the National Arboretum in D.C., situated in an open meadow called the Ellipse Meadow. 
Made from Virginia sandstone, the National Capitol Columns were originally placed in the East Portico of the Capitol building in 1828. However, due to a design oversight, they made the dome look unevenly supported. As a result, they were removed in 1958 and an addition was built. 
The National Arboretum, where the National Capitol Columns are now located, is a botanical garden in northeast Washington, D.C. It is bordered on the west by Bladensburg Road, on the north by New York Ave., and on the south by R Street NE. It is 2.2 miles away from the Capitol. 
Visitors to the National Arboretum can enjoy the beauty of the National Capitol Columns, as well as the other gardens and collections the arboretum has to offer. The stately permanence of the Corinthian columns and their careful siting on a natural knoll in the Ellipse Meadow makes them seem as if they have been there for a very long time.