The Witch’s Castle in Portland, Oregon is a mysterious and intriguing place surrounded by urban legends and an intriguing history . It is a popular resting spot for hikers and a sight to behold, although it is periodically covered in graffiti .
The structure consists of steep steps leading to the stone ruins of a building, now covered in moss and degraded by graffiti .
The area was home to a slew of urban legends during the mid-1800s, with the most well-known being the love story between Mortimer Stump and Anna Balch . The location is said to have a sinister feeling with overgrown vegetation surrounding the structure .
Reaching The Witch’s Castle is a slightly difficult half-mile hike from the Upper Macleay Parking lot near the Portland Audubon Society or a slightly longer three-quarter mile jaunt starting from another location.
The legend surrounding The Witch’s Castle involves a murder and haunting, with the story starting with Danford Balch, a man who came to Oregon with his family in 1850 . The building is said to be haunted and cursed, with some believing the land to be cursed or haunted . The Witch’s Castle is a magical place, albeit of the dark magic variety .
Before Your Visit:
- The trail to the castle is popular and well-used, expect to see many hikers, families, and dogs along the way .
- You can hike to the castle from two different starting points: the Upper Macleay Parking lot near the Portland Audubon Society, which is a half-mile hike, or the Lower Macleay Parking lot at NW 30th and Upshur, which is a slightly longer three-quarter mile hike
- The trail can be strenuous, but not difficult to find.
- The trail is located in the Macleay Park, part of Forest Park, and offers a variety of trails for hiking, biking, and horseback riding.
- The Witch’s Castle, also known as the Stone House, is covered in moss and has graffiti, but it is still a great spot to sit and enjoy or take pictures.
- Forest Park is a large park that is home to more than 112 species of birds and offers a peaceful escape from the city.
- The Witch’s Castle was once a small family home, but is now a popular trail for hikers and dog walkers .
You can also check out a photographic journey to the Witch’s Castle on YouTube.